The department is working to improve the legislation applying in Norfolk Island.
This page contains information about consultation on any proposed changes and fact sheets about changes to legislation that have already been made.
Consultation on changes to legislation is conducted in accordance with the Community Engagement Framework. The Community Engagement Framework was co-designed by the Norfolk Island community and supersedes the Legislation Consultation Framework.
There are no open consultations.
Justice and Safety
- Norfolk Island fire control consultation paper PDF: 576 KB
- Submissions—Norfolk Island fire control PDF: 106 KB
- Fact Sheet—Changes to Norfolk Island Laws: Criminal Justice—Improving Sexual Offence and Telecommunications Laws PDF: 863 KB
- Fact Sheet—Protecting Vulnerable People (Domestic and Personal Violence) PDF: 428 KB
- Fact Sheet—Protecting Vulnerable People (Criminal Procedure and Sentencing) PDF: 423 KB
- Closed consultation—Proposed changes to protect women, children and young people PDF: 762 KB
- Closed Consultation—Traffic Laws in Norfolk Island PDF: 852 KB
- Traffic Laws Public Submissions—summary of input received
- Traffic Laws Report from the Second Consultation Process PDF: 1015 KB
- Fact Sheet—Changes to the Traffic Act 2010 (NI) PDF: 521 KB
- Closed Consultation—Norfolk Island Criminal Laws PDF: 777 KB
- Summary of submissions—Norfolk Island Criminal Laws PDF: 475 KB
- Closed consultation—Norfolk Island Regional Council Elections PDF: 936 KB
- Submission by the Norfolk Island Regional Council - Norfolk Island Regional Council Elections
- Department response to submission by the Norfolk Island Regional Council—Norfolk Island Regional Council Elections PDF: 175 KB
- Fact Sheet—Significant Development PDF: 233 KB
- Fact Sheet—Changes to support Council Elections PDF: 231 KB
- Closed Consultation—Norfolk Island Land Valuation Act PDF: 858 KB
- Summary of submissions—Norfolk Island Land Valuation Act PDF: 563 KB
- Fact Sheet—Norfolk Island Valuation Act PDF: 306 KB
- Fact Sheet—Changes to the Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages Act 1963 PDF: 419 KB
- Fact Sheet—Territories Legislation Amendment Bill 2020 PDF: 457 KB
- Closed consultation—Proposed changes to Norfolk Island Births, Deaths and Marriages Legislation PDF: 518 KB
- Summary of submissions—Norfolk Island Births, Deaths and Marriages Legislation PDF: 108 KB
Compilations of Applied NSW Laws
Compilations of some NSW laws applied in Norfolk Island are made periodically and include the text of the NSW laws with amendments made for Norfolk Island by the Norfolk Island Applied Laws Ordinance 2016.
Compilations are accurate at the time they are made, but will not include any subsequent amendments made after the compilation date.