New Ordinances: Latest stage of reform announced
11 May 2016
His Excellency General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Retd), Governor General of the Commonwealth of Australia, made eight Norfolk Island Ordinances on 5 May 2016.
These Ordinances support a range of important matters, including the establishment of the Norfolk Island Health and Residential Aged Care Service (NIHRACS), and to support the transition of businesses to the federal taxation system, the suspension of the Norfolk Island business transactions levy for certain businesses until 30 June 2017.
In addition, the Ordinances ensure continuation of local public holidays for Foundation Day, Bounty Day, Queens Birthday, Show Day and Thanksgiving. These Ordinances strengthen oversight of the Gaming Authority and remove market restrictions for telecommunications.
Details are available on the website:
- Norfolk Island Applied Laws Ordinance 2016
- Norfolk Island Appropriation Amendment (2016 Measures No. 2) Ordinance 2016
- Norfolk Island Continued Laws Amendment (2016 Measures No. 1) Ordinance 2016
- Norfolk Island Continued Laws Amendment (2016 Measures No. 2) Ordinance 2016
- Norfolk Island Customs Ordinance 2016
- Norfolk Island Land Transfer Ordinance 2016
- Norfolk Island Provident Account (Closure and Other Measures) Ordinance 2016
- Norfolk Island Regional Council Declaration Ordinance 2016
The enacting of these Ordinances supports the Australian Government's commitment to Norfolk Island economic recovery and the transparent delivery of the reforms. More detailed information about the Ordinances and their practical application will be provided in the next edition of the Norfolk Island Reform Newsletter.
The Hon Gary Hardgrave