The department is committed to keeping the Jervis Bay Territory (JBT) community informed as the Australian Government continues to work with you in our response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). A Public Health Emergency was declared in the JBT on 22 April 2020 and remains in place.
The Jervis Bay Territory (JBT) is a Commonwealth-administered territory, and is not part of New South Wales (NSW) or the Australian Capital Territory (ACT).
Local COVID-19 restrictions apply, to protect residents and minimise risks to visitors.
Non-resident visitors who have been to affected areas are not to enter JBT. Returning JBT residents who have been to hotspots are required to self-isolate at home for a period of up to 14 days.
Please refer to the relevant affected areas notice for the period of self-isolation.
The Public Health (JBT) Emergency Direction enforces the ACT declared COVID-19 affected areas and areas of concern. The most recent Public Health Directions can be found below.
Information about COVID 19 affected areas and areas of concern can be found on the ACT Government COVID-19 website at COVID-19 areas of concern - COVID-19 (act.gov.au).
Workers delivering essential services
Workers delivering essential services may request entry to the JBT to deliver those services. The Department will require information from the employing organisation demonstrating why the services are essential, including information about why the services cannot be delayed or delivered differently.
The Department will also require a detailed COVID-safe plan, including information about the workers seeking entry to the JBT.
Please note, workers delivering essential services to the JBT also have a responsibility to ensure they are complying with any NSW restrictions in place while they are in transit to the JBT.
Personal circumstances and compassionate grounds
Individuals may seek an exemption to JBT border restrictions in very limited circumstances, such as:
- compassionate grounds e.g. visiting a family member receiving palliative care;
- to attend the funeral of an immediate family member;
- to attend medical appointments;
- to access a service only available in the JBT, which is time critical;
- for child access or critical care arrangements;
- to attend court or legal proceeding; or
- if you are moving permanently to the JBT.
If you have been to an affected area and need enter the JBT please complete submit the below form along with photo ID to JBTExemptions@infrastructure.gov.au.
- JBT COVID-19 Application Form Pack PDF: 680 KB
Applications for entry should be submitted at least 3 business days prior to planned travel. Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an email advising whether your request has been granted.
If you require further information please contact the Jervis Bay Territory Exemptions team on JBTExemptions@infrastructure.gov.au or call (02) 4442 2210.
If an exemption is granted some restrictions may still apply. The Department will provide you with information on any additional restrictions you are required to follow. You may also be required to present documentation to authorised officers while in the Territory.
The full list of declared affected areas and hotspot in the latest ACT Public Health (COVID-19 Interstate Hotspots) Emergency Directions for 2021 is available here: https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/act-status-and-response/act-public-health-directions
- Public Health (Jervis Bay Territory) Emergency (Temporary Restrictions) Direction 2021 PDF: 518 KB
- Declaration of State of Emergency (Jervis Bay Territory) (No. 6), 2 June 2021 PDF: 122 KB
- Declaration of State of Emergency (Jervis Bay Territory) (No. 5), 5 May 2021 PDF: 200 KB
- Public Health (Jervis Bay Territory) Emergency Declaration Further Extension (No. 2) 2021, 19 April 2021 PDF: 50 KB
- Declaration of State of Emergency (Jervis Bay Territory) (No. 4), 7 April 2021 PDF: 357 KB
- Public Health (Jervis Bay Territory) Emergency Direction (No. 3), 1 April 2021 PDF: 1309 KB
- Declaration of State of Emergency (Jervis Bay Territory) (No. 3), 11 March 2021 PDF: 401 KB
- Public Health (Jervis Bay Territory) Emergency Direction (No. 2) 2021, 24 February 2021 PDF: 1594 KB
- Declaration of State of Emergency (Jervis Bay Territory) (No. 2), 15 February 2021 PDF: 262 KB
- Declaration of State of Emergency (Jervis Bay Territory) (No. 1), 19 January 2021 PDF: 324 KB
- Public Health (Jervis Bay Territory) Emergency Direction (No. 1) 2021, 14 January 2021 PDF: 2957 KB
- Public Health (Jervis Bay Territory) Emergency Declaration Further Extension (No. 1) 2021, 13 January 2021 PDF: 246 KB
For Ministerial, Administrator and department announcements, please visit our Community Bulletins 2021 page.
JBT Pandemic Response Plan:
The Department has developed a Jervis Bay Territory Pandemic Response Plan as a Sub Plan of the JBT Emergency Management Plan.
- Jervis Bay Territory Pandemic Response Plan PDF: 1999 KB
- Jervis Bay Territory Escalation Matrix PDF: 318 KB
This page will be updated with fact sheets and new information relevant to the JBT.