Tropical Cyclone Advice 1—Cocos (Keeling) Islands—Condition Blue
Date: 20 January 2021
The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) issued Tropical Cyclone Advice Number 1. As a result of this advice, the Cocos Emergency Management Executive Committee has met and supported the recommendation from the Cocos (Keeling) Islands (CKI) Territory Controller to enact the Cyclone Action Plan.
CKI is now operating under Condition Blue as an early precautionary measure as strong north-westerly winds, intermittent gales and heavy rainfall are expected overnight.
A cyclone may also form overnight and affect CKI within the next 48 hours.
Response agencies are prepared and Emergency Management procedures are in place.
As part of the Cyclone Condition Blue action plan, it is now time to prepare yourself and support your community by:
- Making sure your neighbours are aware of the cyclone advice issued by BoM
- Clean up around your home, tie down or remove loose material and rubbish
- Check that all windows are secured
- Have emergency supplies at hand
- Make sure you have some water stores.
- Please listen to emergency broadcasts and to the on-ground responders during any extreme weather event. They are there to support us and keep us safe.
We also have our warning lights located at:
- West Island Public Shelter
- Home Island Public Shelter
- Airport runway adjacent to the Bureau of Meteorology Building.
When the lights are activated, please follow all related instructions. If you require emergency assistance, please contact Cocos police on 000 or 9162 6600, or on VHF Channel 20. Please listen and follow all advice from the Territory Controller, Sergeant David Williams.
The Cocos Emergency Management Executive Committee will meet again Thursday morning and provide further advice to the community.
Administrator of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands