2020-21 Water and wastewater service charges for IOT
Date: 19 October 2020
Information on the 2020-21 water and wastewater service charges for the Indian Ocean Territories (IOT), which commence from next month, is now available.
The Australian Government, through the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, provides funding to the Water Corporation of Western Australia to deliver water and wastewater services to Christmas Island (CI) and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands (CKI).
The fees for water, sewerage and building application services for 2020-21 were determined in consultation with the
Water Corporation. The charges are similar for customers in comparable remote locations in Western Australia. The fees charged on CI and CKI are currently less than the cost of providing water and wastewater services.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, some fees and charges have not increased this year.
A summary of the charges is available below:
- 0% increase for residential charges
- 2.5% increase for non-residential charges
- 2% increase for miscellaneous fees and charges (except for builders and conveyancing fees)
- 0% increase for builders’ fees.
A new commercial/residential tariff is being introduced on CKI, consistent with arrangements on CI. Properties eligible for this tariff will receive a reduction on water usage charges from the commercial rate.
Full details about the 2020-21 charges can be found at:
- Christmas Island Utilities and Services (Water, Sewerage and Building Application Services Fees) Amendment (2020 Measures No.1) Determination 2020 [F2020L01144]]
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands Utilities and Services (Water, Sewerage and Building Application Services Fees) Amendment (2020 Measures No.1) Determination 2020 [F2020L01142]
The rates listed in these Determinations will take effect from 1 November 2020.
Mrs Natasha Griggs
Administrator of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands