Cocos (Keeling) Islands fishing rules
Western Australian (WA) fishing rules are already in place on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands (CKI), were not designed specifically for the unique CKI region, and do not take into account Cocos Malay customs.
An Ordinance and proposed Exemptions were drafted following more than 10 years of research and community consultation and seek to balance the need to protect the fishery with community expectations. The draft Ordinance was released for public comment on 6 August 2019.
- English PDF: 473 KB
- Cocos Malay PDF: 423 KB
- Service Delivery Arrangements - Fisheries services
Frequently asked questions
- Exposure Draft: Cocos (Keeling) Islands Applied Laws Amendment (Fish Resource Management) Ordinance 2019 PDF: 446 KB
- Summary of exemptions PDF: 218 KB
- A Sustainable Future for Rec Fishing in the CKI (2005) PDF: 316 KB
- Review of Exploitation of IOT Resources (2010) PDF: 509 KB
- Summary of Invertebrate Research (2006-2011) PDF: 2002 KB
- Community Feedback – Fisheries public consultations Cocos (Keeling) Islands PDF: 264 KB