Christmas Island fishing rules
Western Australian (WA) fishing rules are already in place on Christmas Island (CI) and were not specifically designed for the unique CI region.
Following extensive community consultation and feedback on the strong interest from the Christmas Island (CI) and Cocos Keeling Islands (CKI) communities in local management and self-regulation, the Australian Government will work in collaboration with the CKI and CI communities to develop a model of fisheries management that delivers a regulatory framework fit for purpose in the IOT.
Under any potential approach, it will be critical that communities continue to practise sustainable fishing and work together with the Government to implement a model which secures the IOT fishing future.
The Australian Government will support further research of local fisheries stocks to inform management frameworks, which will include community input.
- Exposure Draft: Christmas Island Applied Laws Amendment (Fish Resource Management) Ordinance 2020 PDF: 421 KB
- English PDF: 3214 KB
- Chinese PDF: 2137 KB
- Malay PDF: 3213 KB
- Service Delivery Arrangements - Fisheries services
Frequently asked questions
- A Sustainable Future for fishing on Christmas Island (2007) PDF: 1388 KB
- Review of Exploitation of IOT Resources (2010) PDF: 509 KB
- Community Feedback - Fisheries public consultations Christmas Island PDF: 304 KB