Proposed Replacement of the Wharf Crane and Mooring Systems
The information contained within the web page is derived from the Statement of Evidence submitted to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Public Works on the Proposed Replacement of the Wharf Crane and Mooring Systems at Christmas Island (the Proposed Works).
The Proposed Works will deliver a new crane, mooring systems and associated infrastructure to the wharf and port areas on Christmas Island. The three locations are:
- Flying Fish Cove
- Smith Point
- Norris Point (Nui Nui)
The Proposed Works are subject to Parliamentary approval. If approved, the Proposed Works will deliver these critical upgrades to Flying Fish Cove and Smith Point by late 2020, as well as decommissioning the Nui Nui Facility at Norris Point that is non-operational and no longer a viable asset.
The department has created this webpage to facilitate consultation on the Proposed Works.
Scope of proposed works
Indicative diagrams and drawings are available.
Flying Fish Cove
- Replacement and upgrade of the existing wharf crane and upgraded crane platform
- Upgrade of the inner and outer mooring systems
- Decommissioning and off-island disposal of existing mooring components
- Replacement and upgrade of the existing mooring systems
- Decommissioning and off-island disposal of existing mooring components no longer required
Norris Point (Nui Nui)
- Decommissioning and off-island disposal of existing wharf crane
- Removal and off-island disposal of the remaining components of the mooring system
Contacts and further information
A fact sheet is available for download.