Barkly Regional Deal
The Barkly Regional Deal is the first regional deal in Australia—a 10 year $78.4 million commitment between the Australian Government, the Northern Territory Government and Barkly Regional Council.
The Barkly Regional Deal was signed by the Australian Government, the Northern Territory Government and the Barkly Regional Council on 13 April 2019 in Tennant Creek following a six month consultation process.
Barkly Regional Deal PDF: 8597 KB
The Barkly Regional Deal aims to improve the productivity and liveability of the Barkly region by stimulating economic growth and improving social outcomes, including reducing overcrowding and improving child safety.
The total value of the Deal is $78.4 million and includes:
- $45.4 million from the Australian Government
- $30 million from the Northern Territory Government
- $3 million from the Barkly Regional Council.
Key components of the Deal include:
- $78.4 million package of initiatives co-funded by the Australian Government, the Northern Territory Government and the Barkly Regional Council—the majority of this new investment will be expended over the first three years
- 28 economic, social and cultural initiatives to be implemented across the Barkly region
- 10 year timeframe—until 2029
- Community governance framework to drive the implementation of the Barkly Regional Deal, including a Governance Table.
Statement of Intent
On 10 December 2018, the Australian Government, the Northern Territory Government and the Barkly Regional Council, signed the Barkly Regional Deal ‘Statement of Intent’, and made an initial joint commitment of $60 million to support the deal to address local priorities.
The Barkly Governance Table will oversee the implementation of the Barkly Regional Deal and advance other economic and social development priorities in the region over the next 10 years. Funding committed under the Barkly Regional Deal will be used to establish a ‘backbone team’ to provide secretariat, advisory and support services to the Governance Table.
Membership of the interim Governance Table includes the three levels of government, Aboriginal leaders, local business leaders, non-government organisations, young people and other community stakeholders.
The first meeting of the interim Barkly Governance Table was held on 21 and 22 February 2019 to provide advice on the proposed initiatives for the Barkly Regional Deal.
The second meeting of the interim Barkly Governance Table was held on 9 May 2019 to commence implementation planning for the Barkly Regional Deal following its release on 13 April 2019.
- Interim Barkly Governance Table Communiqué May 2019 PDF: 193 KB
- Barkly Regional Deal signed 13 April 2019 PDF: 8597 KB
- Barkly Regional Deal Factsheet PDF: 279 KB
- Interim Barkly Governance Table Communiqué February 2019 PDF: 115 KB
- Statement of Intent 10 December 2018 PDF: 1008 KB
- Information note February 2019 DOCX: 79 KB
- Community priorities and aspirations December 2018 PDF: 521 KB
- Consultation report December 2018 PDF: 148 KB
- Consultation report October 2018 PDF: 159 KB
- Community priorities and aspirations October 2018 PDF: 82 KB