Barkly Regional Deal
Interim Barkly Governance Table Communiqués
- 4 November 2019 PDF: 327 KB
The Table held an out of session meeting to consider the site for the Youth Justice Facility.
- 19 September 2019 PDF: 219 KB
The Table was updated on implementation progress, the establishment of working groups and discussed delivery arrangements for a number of Deal initiatives.
- 22 August 2019 PDF: 98 KB
The Table reviewed implementation progress and refined working arrangements to ensure genuine community engagement and continued momentum into the implementation phase of the Barkly Regional Deal.
- 9 May 2019 PDF: 193 KB
The Table commenced implementation planning for the Barkly Regional Deal.
- 19 February 2019 PDF: 115 KB
The Table provided advice on the proposed initiatives for the Barkly Regional Deal.
Deal development documents
The Barkly Regional Deal is the first regional deal in Australia—a 10 year $78.4 million commitment between the Australian Government, the Northern Territory Government and Barkly Regional Council.
The Barkly Regional Deal was signed by the Australian Government, the Northern Territory Government and the Barkly Regional Council on 13 April 2019 in Tennant Creek following a six month consultation process.
The Barkly Regional Deal aims to improve the productivity and liveability of the Barkly region by stimulating economic growth and improving social outcomes, including reducing overcrowding and improving child safety.
The total value of the Deal is $78.4 million and includes:
- $45.4 million from the Australian Government
- $30 million from the Northern Territory Government
- $3 million from the Barkly Regional Council.
Key components of the Deal include:
- 28 economic, social and cultural initiatives to be implemented across the Barkly region, the majority of this new investment will be expended over the first three years
- 10 year timeframe—until 2029
- Community governance framework to drive the implementation of the Barkly Regional Deal, including a Governance Table.
Statement of Intent
On 10 December 2018, the Australian Government, the Northern Territory Government and the Barkly Regional Council, signed the Barkly Regional Deal ‘Statement of Intent’, and made an initial joint commitment of $60 million to support the deal to address local priorities.
The Barkly Governance Table will oversee the implementation of the Barkly Regional Deal and advance other economic and social development priorities in the region over the next 10 years. Funding committed under the Barkly Regional Deal will be used to establish a ‘backbone team’ to provide secretariat, advisory and support services to the Governance Table.
Membership of the interim Governance Table includes the three levels of government, Aboriginal leaders, local business leaders, non-government organisations, young people and other community stakeholders.