East Kimberley Development Package
The $195 million East Kimberley Development Package (the Package) was launched in Kununurra on 3 July 2009.
The Package was developed by the Australian Government in close collaboration with the Western Australian Government through a joint assessment process led by the Hon Gary Gray AO MP and the Hon Brendon Grylls MLA with assistance from the Office of Northern Australia.
The Australian Government is investing directly in social and common use infrastructure that will promote healthy, strong and resilient communities and provide meaningful and sustainable jobs for local Indigenous people in the East Kimberley region. The National Partnership Agreement on the East Kimberley Development Package was signed by the Australian and Western Australian Governments to enable 21 of the 29 projects to be directly implemented by the Western Australian Government.
The Package includes key investments across the areas of health, education and training, housing, transport and community infrastructure.
- Joint Assessment for the East Kimberley Development Package: Summary Report [PDF: 455 KB] 
- Terms of Reference for Joint Assessment [PDF: 36 KB] 
East Kimberley Development Package Newsletter
- East Kimberley Development Package Newsletter—February 2011 Issue [PDF: 453 KB] 
|Project||$ million||Project Leader2|
|Wyndham health facilities refurbishment||3.4||WA|
|Kununurra Hospital expansion||20.5||WA|
|Short stay patient accommodation in Kununurra||5.1||WA|
|Residential rehabilitation facility in Wyndham||3.2||WA|
|Remote aged care services in Kalumburu and Warmun||4.5||WA|
|Remote clinics in Kalumburu and Warmun||5.5||WA|
|Environmental health measures in Kalumburu, Warmun and Oombulgurri||3.9||WA|
|Sobering Up Centres in Kununurra and Wyndham||0.6||WA|
|Health service providers housing in Kununurra||6.8||WA|
|Education and Training||$64 million|
|Wyndham Early Learning Activities Centre||1.7||WA|
|Warmun Early Learning Centre||0.6||Private|
|Kununurra school precinct upgrades and expansions (primary school, high school, community library, teacher training)||48.9||WA|
|Kimberley TAFE upgrade in Kununurra and Wyndham||10.0||WA|
|Community meeting rooms in Kununurra, Kalumburu, Oombulgurri and Dawul||2.1||WA|
|Early Childhood Building for Jungdranung Community||0.11||WA|
|Kununurra Out of School Hours Care Facility||0.6||WA|
|Social Housing in Kununurra and Wyndham||WA|
|Transition Housing in Kununurra and other locations||46.0||WA|
|Wyndham Port facility upgrade||10.0||WA|
|Kununurra Airport—Terminal upgrade||5.0||SWEK|
|Kununurra Airport—new Patient Transfer Facility||0.4||SWEK|
|Community sporting facilities—hostel oval in Kununurra||1.25||SWEK|
|Community sporting facilities—Wyndham swimming pool||0.95||SWEK|
|Waringarri Art Centre in Kununurra||1.6||Private|
|Wyndham Picture Gardens||0.3||SWEK|
|Wyndham Community Jetty||7.0||SWEK|
|MG Corporation—Gelganyem Trust shared facility in Kununurra||4.5||WA|
- The WA Government requested that this project be replaced by the Kununurra Out of School Hours Care Facility. This was agreed in March 2012 by the Prime Minister. $0.1m refers to the costs incurred before the project was cancelled.
- The Commonwealth is funding various partners to implement projects, including the Western Australian Government (WA), Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley (SWEK) and private providers (Waringarri Arts Aboriginal Corporation and Warmun Community Incorporated).
- An additional $0.2 million has been notionally allocated to achieving Indigenous Workforce objectives—covered in Variation Schedule to the EKDP NPA.